Sunday, September 16, 2007

Let's Make Daiquiris!

My family is so blended, it'd take a molecular physicist to sort us all out. Both of my parents are remarried. I'm remarried. I have three step-sisters I have met fewer than 4 times each (one I've only met once). I have another step-sister that I know fairly well, but we're not remotely sisterly (I was 18 and she was around 40 when our parents married). I have one stepbrother that I barely know, but like. His wife (second wife) is a hoot, and I like his step kids, although I barely know his daughter from his first marriage. I have step nieces and nephews, step-step nieces and nephews, step great nieces and nephews, a step kid... You get the idea: we're all mixed up.

So having three kids with two separate moms and three separate father figures doesn't really phase me. I get along quite well with my son's mom She and I both figure that we're much better off trying to raise our boy together than fighting, so it works out pretty well. My ex and I are on surprisingly good terms; we get along so much better when we're NOT married to each other. Shoot, we occasionally speak on the phone, just because, even. And now things get a bit weird. My ex is playing bass for my husband. It's odd, but it works musically, and they get along, so why not.

My mother, however, sees things a bit differently. She freaked out when she heard my ex was here last night to rehearse with the band (how else did she think they'd be able to play together? NOT rehearsing before taking the stage?). She asked "well, will that start to bother you? Can you stop them if it does?"

*blink*

*blink*

*blink*

Okay, Mom. Whatever. Because it's going to get stranger than the first time around. Because my husband and the guy who was my best friend in high school being around one another is going to be so sucky. And because I have to see my daughter's father, the guy who I see every Sunday when he picks up our daughter, and Monday morning, when he drops her off on his way to school, and every Monday evening when he picks her up again, and every TUESDAY MORNING when he drops her off before heading off to school again! Oh, no! I might have to see him on Saturdays, too...

So, my mom's strange, my life is strange, and my family is mixed with a blender. Let's make daiquiris!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um...why is it, that in there among all those folks, you fail to list the brother that shares both of the same parents and the sister who shares none?

Pixie LaRouge said...

LOL! Well, you see, I forgot. Not that I have those aforementioned siblings, but that they're part of the fun that baffles people. And don't forget the sister I have that was dating the brother with whom I share two parents (I suppose, technically, four, but you know what I mean). THAT never fails to make people say, "WHAT?!"