Tuesday, October 14, 2008

waxing political

I don't usually "go there" on this blog, but I'm relaxing my rules this time. Why? This time, it's personal. This time, my vote is going for a candidate, rather than voting against someone or against an ideology. This time, I'm voting for Barack Obama.

There are quite a few issues where I have a difference of opinion from that held by Senator Obama. In the main, however, I agree with his policy ideas, and I do believe in him as a man. He very much wants to be one of the "good guys," and, rather than assuming he knows best, he is willing to seek out those of thoughtful discourse and cool counsel to advise him. He asks "what do you disagree with?" and then tries to find ground where everyone does agree. And that is something I respect.

My mother pointed out his liberalism. I told her that was one of the key points in his favor. I'm tired of conservatism that isn't. The right in this country aren't conservative, they're mean, petty and selfish. I'm tired of policies that sound like they offer a chance for personal responsiblity, when they trump basic human decency and generosity. The poor are always with us, and it's time we were with the poor.

I read an article earlier where some loon was blasting the "liberals" for wanting to pay for everything for the poor. The writer accused the poor of "expecting" taxpayers to pay their bills. Give me a break!

Why should we help the less fortunate? Because there are more of them than the rich. If the poor have basic needs met, they have a chance to become productive. They don't catch and carry diseases that sweep through the population, regardless of class. They don't further drain the economy by needing critical care when an ounce of prevention would have kept the worst from happening. They have options other than crime or starvation. They are allowed to pursue life and happiness, just like everyone who is not wallowing in poverty.

And the best reason to offer socialized support to the poor, ill and "the least of these" in our society? The mighty beast of capitalism runs on having money to spend. And, as I said, there's more of them.

Another reason for my vote this year is basic human decency. We've let our government and the major coperations rape the American public for years. It's time for that to change. It's time for morals to apply to more than religious belief.

And there's a bit of selfishness mixed in. I am middle class. pesimst makes a good living at his horrible job. It has provided us with a comfortable home, food, transportation and the ability to keep life and limb together - so far. Because the things it doesn't provide are health insurance, a chance for further education for us or our children, or a very solid safety net should something desperate occur. That is not right. That is not fair. And I am voting to see that change.

Obama's healthcare plan is not perfect, but it is better than the pittance McCain is offering (which would pay less than 4 months insurance premiums for us). His education plan is daring and would turn out a generation that is educated and responsible. His tax breaks would ease our burden and let us save more. And his hand on the wheel of our economy would be solid, steady, and give me a bit more faith in our retirement policies that are festering in the current uncertainties.

I have a belief in the man behind the politics, and that makes all the difference.

No comments: